Topic: Pipe 8: NOV06 -NFS
I've been stalling on Pipe eight a bit because its my last bit-o-briar. I have a shipment on the way but as of today its in Erie, PA. I'm in Beverly, MA. It'll be a couple of days. And I took Monday off because that's what I do. Although I did do some sanding: 2-300 grind, with the staining inbetween.
Today I did 300-600 grinds and stained it for the last time. Tonight and or tommorow I will do 800 - 100, polish and wax it. I also carbonised the bowl.
Top ten reasons why this pipe is not for sale:
- Drilling tobacco chamber at too high a speed vaused the paddle bit to wander a bit do to the different densities occuring in one small piece of Briar.
- I like it too much.
- Why quest for the "ultimate pipe" when I can make one?
- I experimented on engraving my name on the stummel and didn't like the results. This will be the only such engraved pipe.
- Inconsisten bowl thickness which shouldn't be a problem because this wood is ROCK solid.
- I want a new pipe.
- I also experimented with treating the inside of the bowl:pre-carbonizing it. I did this because JP Cooke does it, not for the smoker, but for the protection of the pipe. I like that Idea. I watched his video, and he twice referred to the gender of the briar he was working on. Cool.
- I need to test it (see number 7)
- I'm currently sick of all the other pipes I own (except the Peterson Green Dublin.)